Thursday, March 7, 2013

Being a "Homer"

Do you ever not draft a player because he is on your home team? I'm from Chicago so I have two teams. I root for the Cubs, but I'm not opposed to White Sox success.

The Cubs are not in contention this year so instead we Cub fans must cheer for the success of individual players. I want to see Starlin Castro take that next step where he puts power and average together (and maybe limit his errors). I want to see Anthony Rizzo become the next Mike Trout. Though I want to see these things I may not see them happen on my fantasy team.

Why? Because I don't want to be accused of being a homer. If you don't know, a homer is someone who thinks his/her team is awesome above all other teams. He looks at his team with rose-colored glasses and laughs at the pathetic excuse for a team everyone else puts on the field. I don't want to be that guy.

But who cares? Fantasy Baseball is meant to be fun! If you want to be a homer and live and die by your home team then do it! If that obscure prospect your team has been selling to you all off-season breaks out this season you know you want him on your team. Go for it!

In my case both Castro and Rizzo are fantasy relevant. Maybe I will reach for them in the draft. I expect big things from both so why not? If the Cubs can't win this year then I might as well win my league with their players ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment